Bible Verse of the Day

Thursday, June 21, 2007

What a Day!

Wow, what a day at work. We have to upgrade the firmware on our SAN switches because we have a new switch and all of them have to be at the same firmware level. So we decided to practice on the new one since it had no connections to it yet and then upgrade the two production switches. All went well with the first one, but when we got to the first production switch, all h-e-double hockey sticks broke out. It was supposed to be a non-disruptive upgrade, meaning there would be no loss of connectivity, but it was very disruptive. It took down the switch. Fortunately it was the backup site switch and there wasn't any production running on it. But our pairs broke and my supervisor used this as an opportunity to have the rest of us figure out what to do. She walked us through it, I looked in my training books from last year to try to remember what to do, and between the three of us we figured it out.

I got to drive (hee!) so I have a much firmer grasp on what to do in such situations now. I really like that she used this problem as a learning opportunity for us. What other company is like that? Not many, I can tell you!

DS#1 got the keys to his building this week and has moved in. He went to Costco and bought a plastic folding table and two chairs. Now he's got to get things going. He's already received his first shipment and has some potential buyers in select league teams that play during the summer. As Mario says, "Heere wee gooo!"

Later!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Karen, I have NO IDEA what you said, but I'll share in your excitement for the learning opportunity. :-D And woo hoo for your sons opportunities! :-)