Bible Verse of the Day

Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm Tired of Sweating

Thursday was a very warm day, even though the evening before we had our first cool front of the season. A co-worker and I were unpacking crates of computer cabinets for our new data center, which is still being built. The building is three months behind because of the rain we had this summer. Interestingly, in construction, you have to have fairly dry ground to pour concrete, so ever time it rained, we had to wait 5-10 days for the ground to dry enough to pour more concrete. And also, because of the rain delays, the building doesn't have electricity, yet, which translates into no air conditioning. Because the building is late, we've got equipment arriving with no place to put it. So there we were, unpacking in the heat of the day. I drank a whole quart of Gatorade in about 10 minutes. I think that's a record for me!

Friday was another football game. When we were loading up for the game, the sun was out, the clouds were somewhere else, and I locked my keys in the car. Again. I really think there's something wrong in my brain because I'm not thinking too clearly these days. I had to wait in the hot sun for the Pop-A-Lock guy to show up while I was also trying to get the chaperones in order for the buses. Of course, I was sweaty before it was all over. Then we got on the buses and had to wait for the directors to finish their business before we could leave. I tell you, those big yellow buses were sweltering! The only A/C on them is 40x50 (40 windows, 50 mph). It doesn't work when you're not moving. Smilies

So we get to the stadium, get ready to start the pre-game music and it starts raining. Not just a little bit of rain, but a downpour, gully-washer, frog strangler. Imagine about 800 people underneath the concrete stands of a stadium, about a third of them screaming girls from the pep squad. It was loud. When the rain finally stopped, it got even more humid and it didn't get cooler. I came away from that game with chafing in spots I didn't know you could chafe due to all the sweating.

Saturday we had concession stand duty at the football game. We needed to have 26 people to open up and by the time we opened, we had 42. Our booster club members really don't want to be fined for showing up late or not at all. The concession stand is in a cinderblock room under the stands and there were only fans, no A/C to cool us off. I happened to get the window that had the sun shining directly into it. Another evening of sweating!

I'm hoping the sweaty work is over for a while. We have no game this week and we travel in charter buses to the next game, which is about a three-hour drive away. And if we get anymore equipment in before the building is air conditioned, it's going to sit in a storeroom nearby.

Y'all have a great week!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hopefully the humidity is letting up for you, or at least your activities will be in the A/C ;)