Bible Verse of the Day

Monday, April 9, 2007

What am I working now?

What am I working on now? I'm probably going to have to put scrapbooking on hold for a few weeks while we're getting ready for Fiesta. This is the biggest party in San Antonio. It always happens around the week that contains San Jacinto Day. This was after the Battle of the Alamo during the Texas Revolution and it's what the Texians remembered at San Jacinto.

Fiesta lasts for 10 days and pretty much shuts down the city the whole time. There are three major parades: The River Parade, the Battle of Flowers Parade, and the Fiesta Flambeau Parade. The River Parade is just what it sounds like. They decorate river barges and floats and drive down the river through downtown. The Battle of Flowers Parade is on the second Friday of Fiesta and is one of the oldest continuous parades around. Our son's high school band, pep groups, and student council are in the parade this year, along with most of the other high schools in our district. The Flambeau parade takes place on the following Saturday night. Yes, it's a night parade. All of the floats and participants are lit up somehow.

As a band parent, I'm lucky enough to get to march in the parade in support of the band. We're allowed to have one golf cart per group, so we're decorating two golf carts, one for the band, one for the spirit groups. I'm currently making the paper flowers for them. Thsi is going to take forever! And I still have to decorate my hat! Oh I hope I don't run out of time.

How this for a schedule: Friday afternoon dentist to get my replacment crown, then immediately to concessions for 4 hours. Saturday: at the middle school where the spring BBQ fundraiser is at 5:30AM to start prepping, 9:00 AM rehearsal for the Easter Cantata till noon, then going to work from 10PM till hopefully not past midnight, but could go until 2AM. Sunday: two services (8:30 and 11:00) performing the Easter Cantata. I think I"m going to be exhausted by Sunday afternoon!

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wow, what a schedule! :faint: Don't forget to take lots of photos, to scrap later! ;-)

Karen said...

Oh, you know my camera is going everywhere! It's a good thing there's an inverter in the car so I can recharge the battery :)